Private: 80 Arthur Edward GUILE.


Private: 80 Arthur Edward GUILE.

Born: 6th June 1898. Liverpool ,England.

Married: 1925. Mudgee, New South Wales, Australia. Marriage Cert:14652/1925.

Wife: Alice M Guile. nee: Jamieson.

Died: 1977. Burwood, New South Wales, Australia. Death Cert:22965/1977

Father: Arthur Guile. (1868-1952) died at Liverpool, New South Wales, Australia. Death Cert:1082/1952.



Arthur Edward Guile served with the 14th Infantry prior to enlisting with A Company 34th Battalion AIF on the 8th January 1916 and was an original member of the Battalion. 

The 34th Battalion became a part of the 9th Brigade of the 3rd Australian Division. On the 1st of May the Battalion left by train from Farley Station for the Showground in Sydney. Equipped with kit bags and necessary clothing, and was reviewed in Moore Park by General: Gustave Mario RAMACIOTTI. On the following morning of the 2nd of May 1916 the men embarked on the transport HMAT A20 "Hororata" and sailed at 4:00 pm. Arriving in Plymouth, England on the 23rd June 1916.

Devonport was reached on the 23rd June, the Battalion disembarked at Plymouth at 1:00 pm and en trained during the afternoon for Amesbury, arriving at midnight and marching to hutments at No: 1 Camp, Larkhill. Here the Battalion settled down to hard training, which included Route Marching, Trench Digging, Bomb Practice, Musketry and general Camp Routine. Later the Battalion moved to the No: 25 Camp and finished off their training, which included six days' battle practice and field work at the Bastard Trenches.

34th Battalion marching through Amesbury

34th Battalion marching through Amesbury

Four days' disembarkation leave was given from 6th to 10th July and later King's Leave from November 5th to 9th. Whilst here the Official Colours were issued. Purple over Green (Oval), these replacing the Colours presented to the Battalion (Old Gold on Shoulder Straps) by the Ladies of West Maitland. A Signal Section was formed at Lark hill under Lieutenant: Harold Henry McMINN. The weather in England was mostly fine until the latter part of training, when a good deal of rain and snow caused inconvenience. In October the 34th Battalion was reviewed at a Divisional Parade by His Majesty King George V at Bulford.

The 34th Battalion left Lark hill on the 21st November and en trained at Amesbury for Southampton, embarking on the S.S "Arundel". The transport section left by S.S. "Princess Victoria". The Battalion arrived at Le Harve, France on the 22nd November 1916.

19th July 1917.

Casualties 1 killed "Private: 2097 John Henry JAMIESON" and 5 wounded in WELLINGTON TRENCH. Enemy firing gas shells intermittently all night.

(34th Battalion War Diary)

Arthur was 1 of the 5 that were wounded on the 19th July where he received a Gun Shot wound to his Legs and Ankle and he was evacuated to the 8th General Hospital at Rouen before he was invalided to England. Arthur was admitted to the Reading Hospital on the 13th August 1917 where he received further treatment.

Arthur was discharged and spent Xmas in England before he proceeded overseas via Southampton on the 27th December 1917. He was Wounded in Action; 2nd occasion on the 6th May 1918 and rejoined his unit on the 18th June and remained with the Battalion unit he was demobolised and returned to England where he embarked for Australia and disembarked on 09.08.1919 and took his discharge on 11.09.19.

Arthur's War Medal was auctioned in May 2018 but I was unable to secure for the collection as I was the under bidder.

Family Information

Arthur was a single  18 year old shift man from Pelaw Main, N.S.W. upon enlistment.

Military Records

© Commonwealth of Australia (National Archives of Australia)

Under Construction: 04/05/2018.

Leave a comment